Carbon Monoxide

Know the facts.

Natural gases are nontoxic and reliable gas.
On the other hand, carbon monoxide (CO) is a
highly poisonous gas that has no odor, taste or color.

Carbon monoxide is produced when burning any fuel, such as charcoal, gasoline or wood. If
natural gas equipment is not maintained, adjusted
and operated properly, it could produce carbon monoxide.
Tips for natural gas safety.
Make sure your gas appliances
• are installed properly
• are in good working condition;
• are inspected periodically by a trained technician. An annual inspection of your heating equipment is recommended.
• are used correctly. For example, don't use a gas oven for heating a room.
• have enough fresh air to burn properly;
• have vents in good condition that are not blocked with debris;
• are operated in areas that are clear from clutter and debris;

• are operated in areas that are clear from clutter and trash;
• have a clear, steady, blue flame. (Small amounts of yellow and orange may occur occasionally.)
Know the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
• headaches
• dizziness
• flu-like symptoms
• weakness
• nausea and vomitting
• partial loss of muscular control
• sleepiness

If you think someone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, get the victim to fresh air immediately and call for emergency help. Be sure to open doors and windows to ventilate the area.

Article Source: The Gas Line. Volume 29. Number 5. January 1996